ZAQ: Online Growth for a Successful Aromatherapy Retailer
ZAQ is an aromatherapy company that sells diffusers and essential oils to resellers and consumers. A leader in the diffuser industry, ZAQ focuses on health and wellness through aromatherapy. This industry has become increasingly competitive over the years with lower price point entrants in the marketplace and more home-based sellers that use aggressive, guerilla-style marketing tactics.
To create a strong social media presence across a variety of channels – Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest – and reach a wider audience, introducing them to ZAQ’s products.
To increase fans, followers and buzz about ZAQ products in a way that increased brand awareness and click-thrus to the ZAQ website.
When JWM was asked to develop a Social Media strategy, ZAQ’s two Social Media channels, Facebook and Twitter, had no clearly defined strategy, no fan-base growth targets, and most importantly, the posts were too promotional.
JWM created a Social Media plan and calendar designed to achieve ZAQ’s goals by:
- Adding Pinterest, important considering it markets to ZAQ’s preferred target audience – women 25-45 with an interest in aromatherapy;
- Changing the tone of the posts from “selling” to “social”;
- Developing a storytelling approach, giving fans an emotional relationship with the brand;
- Driving engagement with a schedule that matches the times when users were active;
- Widening the range of topics to appeal to a larger audience;
- Creating a cohesive and unified approach across all channels for a single brand message;
- Designing new, vivid imagery to be shared across all platforms.
Overall, the results speak for themselves, as you can see in the chart below. Social activity and engagement increased throughout 2015 into 2016 on all three Social Media channels – Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. This improvement was created with consistent posting, continual review of data and a refined content strategy that pays attention to the target audience’s interests and consistent storytelling.
Statistics & Results over a 15 month period
(January 2015 – March 2016)
Developing a successful multi-channel social media program is the end goal for many health, wellness and consumer product companies. This is the same across the industry – from the resellers, like ZAQ, to the direct-to-consumers producers.
Best practices for a successful Social Media strategy are:
- Gaining a thorough understanding of the business strategy;
- Developing a clear definition of preferred target audience;
- Creating a baseline analysis of all channels to determine what’s working, the level of engagement, number of participants, etc.;
- Establishing a written content calendar to ensure consistency and structure; and
- Evaluating/measuring all available data to confirm what works, requires improvements and revisions, and will continue delivering results.
Using this 5-step approach delivers successful results for ZAQ, and for any company that is ready to grow their online community. Becoming a Social Media butterfly is only a few steps away.
Joy Works Marketing is an online marketing company
with a refreshing philosophy – Joy Works!
It’s simple. If you bring joy to your work you are able to better deliver value to your clients and customers. We are a virtual team of talented professionals who are ready to help you with your next website redesign.